Satellite Ground Segment Engineer - NOC
Want to work at the ESA Satellite Operations Centre? Come and help us shape the future of satellite communications.
Thorn SDS provides world-class service and solutions to our clients. We support organisations with cutting edge technologies and customised solutions. We are constantly looking for talent to be part of our successful team.
We are looking for two Satellite Ground Segment Engineers to work in a newly established Network Operations Centre (NOC) and to join our dynamic team based at the European Space Agency, Darmstadt, Germany. This is a great opportunity to develop and grow your career in a multinational environment under the guidance of industry experts.
If you are a highly motivated individual who is looking to start and develop a career in the space industry, this is a unique opportunity. We would also welcome applications from less experienced engineers who may be interested in joining us in a Junior Engineer capacity.
You will routinely work a shift system, usually on early shift or normal working office hours, however there will be an occasional requirement to take part in a 24/7 shift pattern in support of launches or special operations.
Activities will include:
- Special engineering tasks including validation of new systems and support with launch and early orbit (LEO) activities;
- Provide support to future customers e.g. handling of adaptive link budget for K/Ka band;
- Provide 1st and 2nd line operations (IT and satellite network) including the supervision of technicians;
- Provide engineering support to Station, Sub-system and Ground Operations Engineers;
- Undertake testing and evaluation of new system configurations;
- Support mission preparations (including launches, mission readiness tests, station tests and tracking campaigns);
- Participate in the support teams for satellite launches;
- Engineering support to the evolution of the Network Support Service;
- Develop training material and deliver courses.
You must be an excellent communicator, proficient in the English language with a passion for the Space Industry. You should have a wide-based understanding of radio, telecommunications, and IT systems in an operational environment. Ideally, candidates will have some experience of control systems or satellite ground segment. We will train you on all aspects of the ESA Ground Segment and in return you will be expected to work hard and contribute fully to a critical 24x7 service to ESA. This is a role with huge potential and we fully expect candidates to progress enormously, advancing into other engineering roles.
The NOC Engineer will:
- hold a University degree, or equivalent, in Electronic engineering, IT, or related discipline;
- have a professional IT Networking certificate with the motivation to progress quickly to Cisco CCNA;
- be able to demonstrate the ability to take the lead and to supervise a technical operations team;
- have an excellent understanding of the commercial sensitivities required in a multi-agency working environment;
- have experience of delivering excellent customer service and have an understanding of the fundamentals of Service Management within an ITIL operation;
- demonstrate a track record of operating within a modern service management environment, with a good understanding of SLA’s, KPI’s, and performance objectives and reviews.
Thorn SDS offers a competitive salary and a generous holiday package. We support on-going professional development, and will provide training and development in a multi-agency environment working on state of the art satellite operations. You will be a part of our on-site team and will help to define and deliver the services we offer to our clients.
On the ESA site, you will have access to a subsidised gym, a staff canteen, lots of opportunities to become involved in social clubs and charity events. The offices are based in the town centre and offer free parking.
With our team based in central Darmstadt, we can help you with relocation, if required. Our local team will support you with career progression. If you are new to the area, we can offer practical help and advice too.
We welcome diversity in our workforce.
Please send your CV and covering letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org.