Senior Design Engineer - Body Panels
Woking, United Kingdom
We are currently looking to recruit a Senior Design Engineer within body panels, who will be responsible for the design on all aspects of body panels delivery, on series and future vehicle programmes.
This role exists to keep the engineering design capability, which includes intellectual property, design principals and methodology and knowledge inside of McLaren Automotive, within the body panels team. This allows us to maintain our high standards and keeps our products consistent. It facilitates continual improvement, to keep pushing the boundaries of our previous achievements as we continue to thrive within a competitive market place.
Reporting in to the Principal Engineer for body panels, you will be part of a team of 8 people (Project and Design Engineers), working on all McLaren vehicle programmes as we embark on our Track22 business plan; this is our ambition to produce 15 new vehicles and derivatives of, until the year 2022.
As a Senior Design Engineer, you will be responsible for supporting the concept team with packaging and layout as well as managing external design resource and liaising with suppliers.
You will have the opportunity to work with a variety of materials such as aluminium and carbon fibre and develop your skills and understanding of the manufacturing processes respective of the material properties. You will also have plenty of interaction with other teams within McLaren Automotive, working with exteriors, powertrain and the various attribute teams. There will be a wealth of opportunity to have a big influence on the end product, which will be part of the vehicle everyone can see on the world stage.
The team are highly motivated for what they do and what they achieve, they are competitive with other departments in striving to be the best and are motivated by a sense of pride. They aren’t afraid to take risks and challenge convention on trying something different, trying something others haven’t. They are easy going and sociable and recently enjoyed a competitive go karting trip!
As a Senior Design Engineer, you will be given the opportunity to work within a challenging environment, on some of the most admired vehicles in world. You will work on some of the best and complicated components and systems within your commodity area.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
- Previous industry experience of Catia V5 is essential, CPD or experience on equivalent composites design toolboxes would be beneficial.
- Experience in body structures design would be ideal, other body experience would also be considered including other industries such as aerospace, motorsport and locomotive.
- Experience in designing of mounting structures, a surface and body panelling.
- Good knowledge of materials such as composites, aluminium stamping and castings.
- Good understanding of GD&T standards.
- Educated to Degree level in suitable engineering discipline – automotive, motorsport, mechanical etc.
- Previous experience of a full vehicle program would be ideal – from concept to engineering to launch.