Senior Laser Engineer
Leonardo - Finmeccanica
The successful candidate will be required to conduct and direct specialist laser engineering activities in support of development and production projects to ensure timely delivery of high quality military laser products with significant fibre laser/amplifier content.
The candidate should have experience in the design, characterisation and manufacture of fibre lasers using appropriate commercial tools (e.g. GLAD, ZEMAX or equivalent). An advanced understanding of laser physics and a broad understanding and familiarity with solid state lasers as well as fibre laser types is also required. Experience relating to scaling fibre lasers to high power will be highly appropriate.
An appreciation of the mechanical and electrical design aspects of laser systems is beneficial and it is desirable that the candidate has experience working in a laser production environment. The candidate should have strong laboratory skills.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Selection of appropriate technical solutions with detailed justifications;
- Modelling of key laser processes using commercial and in-house tools;
- Product Test and Verification including the development of test solutions;
- Problem solving to support product development and manufacturing;
- Creation and review of detailed optical drawings, product and test specifications;
- Technical liaison with material vendors.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
- Essential - related Master’s degree (e.g. Physics);
- Desirable - PhD with a significant fibre laser design content.