Senior Mechanical Engineer
SSTL - Surrey Satellite Technology
Guildford, United Kingdom
SSTL are looking for motivated and dynamic Senior Mechanical Engineer to help shape and influence the current and future flight spacecraft structures. You will be responsible for the design of new structural developments and help oversee sub-systems integration from concepts through to testing and flight. The role will include mechanical design, work package management, integration and support activities.
You will report to the Mechanical Design team leader, and work closely with project managers, system engineers, manufacturing and senior/principal analysts.
- Design of components/systems to fulfil customer requirements using 3D modelling tools and techniques;
- Documenting and implementing design changes using Engineering Change Notices;
- Work package management and responsibility for estimating, schedule & budgets;
- Undertaking initial Finite Element Analysis of components and secondary structure;
- Completion of manufacturing drawings to enable component procurement and support of manufacturing activities and inspections;
- Technical Report writing;
- Writing detailed assembly procedures and technical build information;
- Undertake integration of the mechanical components/assemblies in clean room facilities;
- Maintain a design log, summarising each step in the design and development process;
- Creating BoM’s and managing/inputting into MRP systems;
- Create PCB board outlines and liaise with the electrical design team to ensure compatibility with printed circuit assemblies.
- Flexibility and willingness to support other teams/disciplines within the department in areas such as Propulsion, Mechanisms and Optical Instruments;
- Flexibility to support at more than one site on occasion.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- A good degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Proven and relevant experience, preferably in the space industry although this is not essential;
- Practical experience in support of mechanical build and testing activities an advantage.
Knowledge & Skills
- Competent use of leading CAD packages (Solid Works (preferred), Solid Edge or Similar) and familiarity with MRP systems;
- Specifying/identifying appropriate materials, surface treatments and finishes for mechanical component design in aerospace applications;
- Good attention to detail;
- Understanding of Finite Element Analysis;
- Understanding of Spacecraft Systems an advantage;
- Understanding of production and manufacturing methods;
- Competent use of Microsoft Office suite including Outlook;
- Understanding of the challenging design environment of space;
- Good communication skills and the ability to generate technical documentation;
- Good task management, team working and presentation skills;
- Good practical skills with assembly and integration experience;
- Proven ability to deliver solutions under pressure and to tight timescales;
- Experience of PDM, sign off and drawing release.